What is Shell Infrastructure Host and How to Fix High CPU Usage?
Users normally face a shell infrastructure host has stopped working issue when opening a guest account in Windows operating system. No matter how strong a user tries, the alert stays on popping up, and the issue usually stays as long as the user is logged into the guest account.
Although Microsoft has officially declared no resolutions, we have discovered a few workarounds with the help of which you can solve the “shell infrastructure host has stopped working” problem. But, before that, let’s get down into few nitty-gritty aspects–
What Is a Shell Infrastructure Host?
The Shell Infrastructure host is one of the core elements of the Windows system. It is running in the background and can only be finished with the help of the Task Manager. Removing this file can lead to severe outcomes as it is responsible for running several Windows features such as the Action Center, Start Menu, and Context Menu.
So, basically, the error indicates that the SiHost.exe process, short for the Shell Infrastructure host process, which manages graphical elements and features as mentioned earlier, has crashed.
What Heads To “Shell Infrastructure Host Stopped Working” On Windows 10 System?
While there is no special reason for the error, it could have been prompted by some corrupt system file or a missing file.
Simplest Way to Resolve “Shell Infrastructure Host CPU Has Stopped Working” Problem in Windows 10
While several manual workarounds deal with this issue, some of these workarounds might be more suitable for advanced users. If you are a beginner, you can install a Windows utility like Advanced System Optimizer and fix the issue without having much technical know-how.
Advanced System Optimizer has a component named Disk Cleaner & Optimizer, using which you can scan your computer for corrupt or unwanted files and fix faults. This module consists of a Disk Optimizer, System Cleaner, Disk Tools, and Disk Explorer. All this helps clean disk and system-related errors. This guarantees the stable functioning of your PC, and in the process, it can fix the “Shell Infrastructure Has Stopped Working” issue. Here is how you can use this most high-grade PC cleaner known as Advanced System Optimizer.
- Install and run Advanced System Optimizer
- Inside the left-hand pane, press on Disk Cleaner & Optimizers
- Click on System Cleaner from the right-hand side
- When the System Cleaner screen pop-up, hit on Start Scan Now
- Wait for the scan to complete, once done, fix all the issues.
In addition to this, we recommend running other components like Disk Optimizer, Disk Tools.
The virtue of Advanced System Optimizer doesn’t end here. Here are some of the other features of this application–
- Smart PC Care which supplies you scan and gets rid of several types of issues in one click
- Disk Explorer and Disk Optimization tools to resolve fragments and other disk problems
- Backup and Restore files.
- Fix common PC issues with one-click with common problems fixer
- Uninstall redundant applications, sort system startup, and scheduled scans
Now, let’s see the manual methods to fix Shell Infrastructure Host CPU.
Steps To Resolve “Shell Infrastructure Has Stopped Working”
Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages
- Type Control Panel in the Windows search bar and click on Open from the right-hand side
- Click on Programs and Features
- Pull down through the list of applications until you have found Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package
- Click on each of these and hit the Uninstall button.
- Go to Microsoft’s website and reinstall both vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exe.
- Once the packages are reinstalled, restart your computer, log into the guest account and check if you have been able to resolve the “shell infrastructure host has stopped working” issue.
DISM, short for Deployment Image Servicing and Management, is a tool that looks for errors in Windows. Here’s how to open DISM via Command Prompt as an administrator –
- Type CMD in the Windows search bar
- Through the right-hand pane, hit on Run as administrator.
- When the prompt appears, click on Allow.
- Type or copy-paste the following command in the command prompt and press enter –
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Wait for some time for the process to end, and then again restart your machine.
Change Startupto Selective Start-up
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R button
- Type MSConfig and press enter
- When the System Configuration screen pop-up, press on the General tab
- Now, review the Selective startup radio button and verify the Load system services and Load startup items
- Click on Apply and then on OK
- Reboot your system
Sign in again into the guest account and verify if the issue has been resolved.
Run The SFC (System File Checker) Tool
SFC or System File Checker is a utility in Windows 10 that helps users scan any corrupted files. The SFC /scannow is a command prompt that scans all system files, and it then replaces the corrupt files with a cached copy that can be found in %WinDir%\System32\dllcache. You can open the SFC /scannow command to resolve the “shell infrastructure host has stopped working” problem–
- Open the Command Prompt and Run as administrator as shown in the above method
- Enter SFC /scannow in the Command Prompt screen and press enter
- Wait for the process to complete
Once the scan is completed, again restart your PC and check.
Delete Old Guest Account and Register a New Guest Account
One of the methods you can get freed of the “shell infrastructure host CPU” error is by removing your old guest account and creating a new one. For this, you might have to request your admin to remove your old guest account. Here’s how you can register for a new guest account –
- Open Settings by holding the Windows key + I
- Select Accounts
- From the left-hand side, press on Family & other users
- From the right-hand side, hit on Add someone else to this PC under Other people
- Press on I don’t have this person’s sign-in information link at the foot
- You can press on any of the three links. For example, you can add a user without a Microsoft account
- Fill in the username and password and then chase the onscreen instructions
- Click on Next
So, these were some of the probable ways to deal with and fix the “shell infrastructure host CPU has stopped working” issue on Windows 10. You can either opt for manual workarounds or prefer the simpler route and employ a Windows utility like Advanced System Optimizer.